Arrived yesterday and today was the first watercolour class on board. The guests are lovely to work with and a pleasure to teach. We enjoyed working on the warm and cool colours of the colour wheel to learn about using colour.
We worked through Hue; which are the names of the colours, ie: red, green, purple. We looked at Value; the lightness or darkness of the color and played with intensity by mixing two colours together to move around the colour wheel.
After achieving the color wheel and getting used to the paint pallets, I talked about the brushes included in the package and how each could achieve a different style. The flat 3/4 brush is very good for straight line washes and it is important to load paint into the holder to ensure you have sufficient paint mixed for the wash. If the line is not continued and let dry, it can leave a mark when the wash is continued. The 8 round brush is great for washes and detail and the guest needs to play with the paint to see how the brush can be utilized. You need to practise the feel of the brush and the round brush can also be used as a fine point or put on its side to achieve a nice wash. The round brush is capable of holding a lot of water and pigment.
I spoke of cleaning the brushes with some mild soap, such as dish soap and also how to dry them as not to let pigment rest in the ferrule. I asked the guests to complete a 2 minute drawing excercise to expand their creativity and start off their artistic process for the day.
We then spent 45 minutes working on a limited palette small painting of a Savannah scene with an elephant in it. We used 3 colours of alizarin Crimson, yellow ochre and ultramarine. We start with a wash of yellow ochre and leaving some of the paper white and unpainted. Then we added in a small water feature at the front of the picture. We then blended Alizarin Crimson and Ultramarine to achieve various intensities of purple to create the elephant ear and legs. We then continued with more yellow ochre to darken other areas of the scene. By continuing to layer, we achieved a dusty scene of an elephant heading to a water patch.
After the class was finished and questions answered, I went back and worked on a watercolour of the Acropolis photo I had taken the day before. I wanted to try to work with the same limited palette. I achieved what I wanted, but I needed a little sap green for a better color for the trees. You can see the result.